These are perfect for the morning, or as an afternoon snack.
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil (I used coconut oil)
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- ¼ cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin spice blend (or ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoonground nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon ground allspice or cloves)
- 1 ¾ cups white whole wheat or regular whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tbsp each ground flax and hemp seeds (optional but I add these to all of the muffins I make for additional plant protein and fiber)
Heat the oven to 325 and grease 12 cup muffin pan. I just used earth balance butter to grease the cups. You could use an olive oil spray or coconut oil.
In a large bowl, beat the oil and maple syrup or honey together with a whisk. Add the eggs, and beat well. Mix in the pumpkin purée and milk, followed by the baking soda, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. I was out of all spice so I didn’t use but they still turned out great. You could also just use a pumpkin pie spice rather than each individual spice.
Add the flour, oats, ground flax, and hemp seeds to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, just until combined. I added chopped walnuts and they were so good. You could also add mini chocolate chips or another kind of nut. Get creative or leave the recipe like it is.
Spoon mix into each muffin cup and place in the oven. Cook for about 20- 25 minutes. Let cool then take out of the pan and enjoy!